Places of Worship

Church Building

Members of the parish continued to dream about having a place of worship of their own. A Society had to be registered for acquiring land from the government for religious and charitable purposes. Accordingly, The Delhi Orthodox Syrian Church Society was registered (No. S. 1758 of 1960-61) under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, with the three-fold aim of establishing places of worship, educational institutions and health care facilities.

Proceeds from a Fete organized in February 1961, a few ad hoc donations, a transfer of Rs. 3000 from the parish funds, and the net receipts from two charity film shows arranged in Vigyan Bhawan on 8th April 1962 had in all helped to accumulate a balance of Rs.11006.31 in the accounts of the Society at the end of 1963. And there was a resolution of the general body that every member would voluntarily contribute a month’s emoluments in easy installments. It was with the small bank balance, but with abundant faith in the Almighty, that the small number of active members of the parish pushed ahead to achieve the objective of building a place of worship of their own.

Following the Supreme Court judgment of 1958, giving the quietus to half a century of litigation between the Patriarch and Catholicos supporters, peace had been established in the Church. Consequently, there was complete co-operation amongst the members of the combined congregation irrespective of differing loyalties. We could press for urgent allotment of a plot of land by the DDA to enable us to have the foundation stone of the church building laid by His Holiness Moran Mar Ignatius Yacob III, Patriarch of Antioch and All the East on May19, 1964.

The construction work started on 13th April 1966 and the building with a covered area of 7870 sq. feet on a 0.32-acre (13941 sq.ft.) plot, costing Rs. 32004.13, using 202.85 tonnes of cement costing Rs. 38284.40, and 35.15 tonnes of steel costing Rs. 29096.65, involving a total construction cost of Rs. 2.46 lakhs, was completed in two years. A generous timely donation of Rs. 50,000 from His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia helped us immensely, and in gratitude the Parish hall has been named after the Emperor, and His Majesty inaugurated it on 30 April 1968.The church building was consecrated by H.G. Mathews Mar Athanasios, Metropolitan of the Diocese outside Kerala on April 6 & 7, 1968. Thus came into existence the ‘mother parish’, now St. Mary’s Orthodox Cathedral, in the Delhi Diocese of the Malankara Orthodox Church of India. The mother parish has helped in, and witnessed the growth of, several parishes in and around Delhi during the last five decades and more.

Kurishumthotti

The foundation stone for this was laid by H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos on 18th July 1999, assisted by Very Rev. John V. John Corepiscopa and Rev. Fr. Shaji Mathews. It was consecrated on 2nd May 2000 by H.G. Kuriakose Mar Clemis and H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos, assisted by Rev. Fr. P.K. Thomas, Rev. Fr. Philip M. Samuel, Rev. Fr. M.C. Poulose, Rev. Fr. Paul Thomas, Rev. Fr. Koshy Thomas from the sister parishes, and Rev. Fr. Shaji Mathews and Rev. Fr. Ninan Philip, our Vicar and Assistant Vicar respectively. This has been beautified with white marble trellis fencing and given a separate entrance, shifting the main entry to the church to the centre of the compound wall.

Bishop’s suite

A much-needed suite in the Cathedral for visiting Bishops was constructed during 2006-07. Along with this a room for the Assistant Vicar was also provided.

Other renovations and additions

Renovation of the vicar’s parsonage and the sexton’s accommodation, including provision of an additional room was the other construction activities undertaken. All these were consecrated on 25th March 2007 by H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos assisted by Rev. Fr. M.C.Poulose and Rev. Fr. Saji Abraham.

Kodimaram

Another recent addition in the church premises was a newly built flag mast which was consecrated by on 26th September 2009 by H.B. Paulose Mar Milithios assisted by H.G. Dr. Zacharia Mar Theophilos, H.G. Dr. Joseph Mar Dionysius, priests from Delhi Diocese and Kottayam Theological Seminary Professor Rev. Dr. O. Thomas.

St. Paul's School Chapel

A Chapel has been provided in the School for the benefit of the teachers, staff and staff belonging to our church and anyone who wishes to pray. The Chapel was consecrated on 7th April 2000 by H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos assisted by Rev. Fr. Shaji Mathews, Rev. Fr. M.C. Poulose and Rev. Fr. Ninan Philip. Holy Qurbana is celebrated on Saturdays and on special occasions in this chapel.

St. George’s Chapel at Aya Nagar Medical Centre

The foundation stone for this complex was laid on 22 April 2001 by H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos and was consecrated on 24 and 25 April 2002 by H.G. Job Mar Philoxenos. Holy Qurbana is celebrated every first and third sunday in the chapel.

Youtube Links


  • Mar Philexinos - DOCIB

  • Dr. Youhanon Mar Demetrios - An Exclusive Interview

  • OCYM Delhi Diocese. Thalamura Sangamam.

  • CATHOLICATE CENTINARY